Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall is Here!

I love fall! So many things about it...the smells, the leaves changing colors, breaking out scarves, boots and hats, home decor and of course the food! Pumpkin is one of my favorites. I love pumpkin everything. So when I got a free pumpkin the last week of our CSA I figured why not make my own puree and cook the seeds. Mama told me I wouldn't want to do it, but I figured why not try!

I cut the pumpkin in half and put the halves face down on a cookie sheet. Then baked for an hour and 45 mins.

It made the house smell delightful! I then let it cool, scooped it out and pureed it in the blender. Since then I have used the puree to make pumpkin cupcakes and pumpkin bread. Both of them were delicious.

While the pumpkin was cooking I made a butternut/acorn squash and sweet potato soup. It was beyond good...just ask Steve.

I also saved the pumpkin seeds from the one I cooked to make the puree and roasted them with olive oil and sea salt. We ate them as a snack all week. I just love fall!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love fall too but you have everyone I know beat by a long shot with your cooking and creativity ! Whooo Hooo !